StatCounter

Tuesday 10 August 2010

Welcome to my blog!

I'm going to keep this blog mainly for antique and vintage quilt matters. As I don't usually read blogs or know much about them please bear with me as I'll be learning about them as I go along!

 Often in the past I've thought I'd like to add various photos and snippets to my Treasured Quilts website, but realised that not everybody might be interested in too much 'quilty' talk and it could clutter the website. So I'll post various photos on here instead and hope that some of you enjoy looking at the blog now and then!

 I'll start off with a few photos from our recent family holiday in the USA, these photos were taken at the Gunnison, Colorado, Pioneer Museum. A fantastic place to visit - one of the nicest museums I've ever been to, all the exhibits were open, to see up close. Later on in our trip the museums we visited had displays roped off or totally behind glass, whereas the Pioneer Museum was totally open.
The photos show a very small, early wooden cabin - this was smaller than one room in the average modern household of today, all of which included the sleeping area, cooking, eating and storage. Hanging on the walls by the bed are some plain cotton feedsack bags which would have been used for towels.

The bed inside is 'truckle bed size' - smaller than the average single size bed, being shorter and narrower, often used in 'hired hands' accommodation. In the past I have sold a few basic style quilts or comforters that were made for this size bed.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing these photos - really interesting. I love the 'Little House' books by Laura Ingalls Wilder (fired my first interest in quilts) and I imagine this was the sort of cabin she and her family lived in on the prairie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic trip ! How amazing to be able to stand so close and "feel" the history. Oh boy, those feedsacks...lucky you :-)
    Good to see the truckle bed too. Can just imagine a rag rug on those floor boards, can't you ?
    great photos and as previous person said, "thanks for sharing "
    Best wishes, Heather.

    ReplyDelete