StatCounter

Thursday 19 August 2010

Utility Quilts

I've just listed a vintage patchwork comforter in the aptly named 'Brickwork' pattern, on my treasuredquilts.co.uk website, made out of men's suiting woollen cloth. I love the 'beard guard' sewn over the top hem end  to keep the quilt clean or to stop the wools tickling chins. This quilt came from Willoughby, Ohio which has an average winter snowfall of 27 inches, so warm, practical quilts were a necessity.











It reminds me of this woollen strips quilt that I took a photo of at a Pioneers Museum in Colorado. What a snug looking bedframe!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Linda, Lovely to read your blog and visit through your photos where your quilts may have come from,I've enjoyed visiting your website - although I haven't yet bought a quilt!- and will certainly be visiting your blog. Best wishes
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember sleeping under a quilt just like this "Brick " one ! It was very heavy but kept me so warm. That fold up bed is just awesome. They have one very much like this in the American Museum in Bath.Will certainly be a frequent visitor to your blog...love it !!

    Best wishes, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Linda, I have been looking at your quilts for sale and was delighted to see you have a quilt blog, too!
    I am wanting an older quilt for a new bed I will be getting soon. I didn't see the 'right' one yet but I will be keeping a close eye on your stock. You have some lovely quilts. I especially like your assessment of the quilts condition and admiration for the work done on them.
    I live in the UK but am a transplanted Oregonian since 1978! I love doing quilting myself but am extremely lazy and just seem to be acquiring beautiful fabrics for my stash to procrastinate in future projects!
    I love old quilts and Welsh blankets too. I look forward to reading your new quilt blog. Because I love quilt talk!
    I have a food blog I have been doing since 2007. Nothing fancy, just things I enjoy baking, mostly cakes and breads.
    I was a bit scared to begin with, to do 'blogging'. But it has been such fun and I have become friends with some lovely people over the years now. I hope your blog will also be a nice surprise for you too.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete